Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Allman Brothers Band - A Decade of Hits 1969-1979 (2000)


GREATEST HITS FORTNIGHT (FEBRUARY 6-19, 2012)

If I'm in the right mood, I like Southern rock, I just can't take it for extended periods of time. Bret Adams, writing for allmusic.com, states that "no self-respecting rock & roll fan should be without a copy" of this disc. That may be stretching it a bit, but there's still some great blues-based rock music here. I'm not ready to go out and buy Lynyrd Skynyrd or Molly Hatchett CD's; when it comes to this genre, I'll stick with the Allmans. They seem to blend in more elements of pop and jazz than most Southern rock bands (Duane was often known to listen to Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue as inspiration). Maybe they were simply better songwriters or performers. If geography really had anything to do with this kind of music, I should be a die hard fan - I was born in the Mississippi delta and have lived in the South all my life.

Much to my surprise, I discovered that this band only had 2 Top 40 hits in the decade covered by this compilation: Ramblin' Man reached #2 in 1973 and Crazy Love (which I honestly don't remember) peaked at #29 in 1979. My favorite Allman Brothers tune, Midnight Rider, was never released as a single but you wouldn't know it from the airplay it continues to get on classic rock stations.

On a completely unrelated note, wasn't Gregg Allman married to Cher for a while in the '70s? And didn't that put an end to the Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour? I'm sure that upset me at the time.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Of the 16 tracks compiled here, my favorites are Statesboro Blues, Ramblin' Man, Midnight Rider, Melissa, the full 7+ minute version of Jessica (a good cover has already made an appearance on this blog), In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed, and Whipping Post. There's nothing worth skipping - most of the songs would be a welcome addition to a lengthy "hot-summer-night-by-the-pool" playlist.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I bought this CD after hearing the song Melissa used in an AT&T/Cingular television ad 6 or 7 years ago.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Live at Fillmore East (1971)

No comments:

Post a Comment