Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Various Artists - Garden State: Music From The Motion Picture (2004)


GEOGRAPHY WEEK (JANUARY 8-14, 2012)

An impulse buy, but one with good results. If nothing else, this popular, mellow compilation introduced me to the music of Nick Drake and Zero 7. This is one of those cases when the soundtrack is actually better than the movie. That Scrubs guy is either hipper than he appears or someone gave him a copy of Ultra Chilled 02. Zach Braff did an admirable job gathering these songs, but the result of his enthusiasm is the same as any teenager who believes in his heart that he's made the greatest mix CD ever - it's hit or miss.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #20

Tracks: Zero 7's song, In The Waiting Line, isn't just my favorite song on this album, it is one of my favorite songs of the past decade. In addition to the Nick Drake and Zero 7 cuts, I enjoy Colin Hay's I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You, Lebanese Blonde by Thievery Corporation, and The Only Living Boy In New York City by Simon & Garfunkel. In the movie, when the Natalie Portman character says, "You gotta hear this one song. It'll change your life, I swear," I think she's talking about a song by The Shins. They've got 2 tracks on this CD and neither do much for me. Sorry, Natalie. The rest of the songs are just ok. They sound like something you'd hear on a rerun of old WB shows like Dawson's Creek or Felicity.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Purchased while I was in grad school (yay for student loans!), this CD saw some playing time on long trips to Houston. Obviously, this purchase led to further purchases by Zero 7, Nick Drake, and Colin Hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment