Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Zero 7 - When It Falls (2004)


Like many people, I bought the soundtrack to Garden State after seeing the movie. So-so movie, outstanding soundtrack. This soundtrack introduced me to several artists, including Zero 7. I liked the song In the Waiting Line so much, that I ordered When It Falls without even previewing any of the tracks. Zero 7 is grouped in the downbeat subgenre and, to be honest, I rather enjoy that type of music.

Billboard, March 13, 2004, p. 55

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #139

Tracks: This is a solid album from start to finish. If I had to pick the weakest cut, I'd go with track 7, The Space Between - it rambles a bit. Some people may not enjoy this music because the tempi of all the tracks is very similar, but that doesn't bother me because the writing/arranging is so strong and the writers aren't afraid to get away from 4/4 time. While multiple singers are used on this release, I can't say I prefer one over the others. The final track (Morning Song) is a great closing piece as the final two minute coda transforms the song into gentle, uplifting '70s soft-pop.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I gots nuthin' - no memory comes to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment