Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Merry Christmas from Doc Severinsen and The Tonight Show Orchestra (1991)


I was expecting an in-your-face, swinging big band Christmas album. What I got was a handbell choir, a brass octet, a children's chorus, pipe organ, and strings. Doc is fantastic, of course, but this is just average easy listening Christmas music.

Tracks: Most tunes are simply Mantovanian string arrangements, and several tracks don't even have Doc or the band playing. The better tracks include Let It Snow, March Of The Toys, and Jingle Bells.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I bought this disc with no preview, solely on the recommendation of a Houston radio DJ. I learned my lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment