Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Harry Connick, Jr. - When My Heart Finds Christmas (1993)


Up to this point in his career, Connick focused on his stride piano playing and jazz. Here, he focuses more on his vocals, being backed by a big band or orchestra. No jazz and very little piano playing. Even though it is weak in the middle, I do like most of the big band numbers here.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #13 (Jan 1, 1994)

Tracks: My favorite big band numbers on the CD are Sleigh Ride and Let It Snow. The CD closes with one of my favorite renditions of What Are You Doing New Year's Eve? 2 of the 4 original compositions are good: the NOLA-flavored (It Must've Been Ol') Santa Claus and I Pray On Christmas. The weakest cuts are Ave Maria, What Child Is This?, and O Holy Night.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: (It Must've Been Ol') Santa Claus is a family favorite. I'm pretty sure there was a TV special that accompanied this release in '93. For some reason, I remembering Carol Burnett in it, but I could be way off base on that one.

Previously revisited for the blog:
She (1994)
20 (1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment