Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Rick Braun - Beat Street (1995)


I first saw Rick Braun in an ad for Getzen trumpets. Because I don't like that particular make of trumpet, I had an instant bias against Braun. I was wrong (status quo for me); Braun's not a bad player and this music is easy enough to listen to. I wouldn't search for his CDs, but if I came across a used copy, I might pick it up if the price is right (that's how I got this one). There's a lot of Harmon mute on this album. I don't trust trumpet players that use a lot of Harmon mute because that gives me the impression that the player doesn't like his tone. Still, this CD is a nice addition to my "at work" playlist on iTunes. Most smooth jazz seems to feature piano, guitar, or saxophone, so it's a nice change of pace to hear some smooth trumpet every now and then.

Tracks: They're all mid-tempo funk-lite background music. The cuts that catch my ear are Philadelphia, The Promises, and Ian's Blues.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment