Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Jude Cole - Start The Car (1992)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a cassette tape, later replaced by a CD.

I can't tell you much about Jude Cole because I only know him through this release. It's not a particularly memorable rock album, but it has two fantastic pop songs on it. I'll compare Cole to Bryan Adams or Extreme, maybe with a little John Mellencamp or pseudo-Springsteen thrown in there, too. Sound inconsistent? It is. I hadn't planned on buying this on CD, but when I saw it used in the clearance bin at Half Price Books, I couldn't pass it up just on the strength of those two songs.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #177 (Oct 24, 1992)

Tracks: the two songs I'm referring to are Worlds Apart (#37 AC) and Tell the Truth (#57 pop, #19 AC). Well worth the cost of the CD (or 99 cents on iTunes). The other tracks aren't necessarily bad (Just Another Night and It Comes Around are the best of the remaining 9 tracks), but they're not really my thing.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: My oldest son was born in October 1993 at a hospital about an hour's drive from where we were living at the time. I heard either Worlds Apart or Tell The Truth on one of the many drives to or from the hospital. There wasn't a Shazam app back then, so I'm glad the DJ mentioned who sang the song or I might never have heard it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment