Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Conga Kings (2000)


A copy of this CD was given to me by my friend Jim when we went through our Afro-Cuban music phase around the turn of the century. The only conga player I know by name is Mongo Santamaria, so I'm not familiar with the three men that make up the Conga Kings, even they've played with all the Latin jazz and Afro-Cuban greats. I enjoy Afro-Cuban music, but I wouldn't call myself a connoisseur. This music is good because these percussionists are spectacular musicians who aren't competing with one another here, just playing off each other. One could argue that this son music was hastily released to capitalize on the Buena Vista Social Club's success. That may indeed be true; I'm not purchasing Afro-Cuban music these days. However, many of the old time Cuban musicians are passing away and I'm glad at least a few of them got into some recording studios while they were still around. Indeed, one of these Conga Kings, Carlos "Patato" Valdes, died in 2007.

Tracks: I enjoy Tumbando Caña, Guaguancó Pa' Las Tumbadoras, Avísale A Mi Contrario, Tuna Se Quemó, but all the tracks are good and the CD is well-sequenced.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, but with this recent heat we're (currently at 10 consecutive days with triple digit temps) this can be ideal porch music when matched with the appropriate beverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment