Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

The B-52's - Funplex (2008)


"OLD DOGS, NEW TRICKS" WEEK (MAY 1-7, 2011)

The first studio album released in 16 years from this New Wave group (the last was Good Stuff in 1992). It sounds kinda like classic B-52's party rock, but the production is updated, courtesy of British production phenom Steve Osborne (New Order, Doves, KT Tunstall). Don't expect Rock Lobster. The lyrics are pretty crude; I won't play this in my truck if my young sons are riding with me. The B-52's have always been a one-trick pony, but as long as you like that pony, it's all good. Here's the best description of the disc, courtesy of Dom Gourlay over at Drowned in Sound: "Funplex then: a bit like that school re-union. Good for a few hours’ reminiscing every once in a while but over-familiarity will only breed contempt." If you like Scissor Sisters or New Order's Get Ready, you'll find something to like here. Good music for the summer.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #11 (April 12, 2008)

Tracks: Favs include Pump, Hot Corner, Funplex, and Deviant Ingredient. I also like that the band has included a ballad on this release (I'm kidding, of course, there aren't ballads on B-52's albums, silly). I could do without Juliet Of The Spirits and Too Much to Think About.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, but I've seen the group live twice (always on July 26!) and they always put on a great show. I'd go see them again if I had the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment