Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Music From The Original Motion Picture Crimson Tide (1995)


Music composed by prolific film scorer Hans Zimmer. This movie was a Don Simpson/Jerry Bruckheimer production, so the music was very sweeping and bombastic. Lots of synthesizer and orchestra with pounding drums and Russian men's chorus in minor keys. The music won the Grammy for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a Motion Picture or for Television, for whatever that's worth.

Tracks: It's all soundtrack stuff, but I have to hand it to Zimmer for his creative use of the Dies Irae as well as the Navy Hymn, Eternal Father Strong To Save.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I've always loved the Navy Hymn and when I heard it used in this movie, I had to buy the soundtrack. It remains one of my favorite hymns.

No comments:

Post a Comment