Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Various Artists - Global Grooves : Remixes (1997)


Before I started this CD project, I had no idea that all I listened to in 1997 was dance music. I guess I had just entered my 30's and didn't want to leave my youth behind. I was also heavily influenced by a very good friend who had recently come out of the closet and openly embraced gay culture. Since the sound is so dated and more than half the remixes are sub-par, I'm guessing I haven't listened to this CD in at least 10+ years.

Tracks:
  • Sex (I'm A...) (Ventura Club Mix) - Berlin (Remixed by Ronnie Ventura)
    In the early '80s, I would have to listen to this naughty song away from the parents. The remix is good, but I prefer the original.
  • The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss) (The Crush Mix) - Cher (Remixed by Steven Nikolas & Brendon Sibley)
    More than a remix, this dance track gets a complete harmonic makeover and it blows away the original. Even though it is obviously a product of the late '90s, it's still one of the better cuts on the disc.
  • Stay (The Anticipation Mix) - Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories (Remixed by Juan PatiƱo)
    Loeb got a lot of mileage out of her hit. Not a good remix, unfortunately.
  • Believe In Me (Vission/Lorimer Club Mix) - Raw Stylus (Remixed by Pete Lorimer & Richard "Humpty" Vission)
    Raw Stylus was a short-lived, London-based group that straddled the line between acid jazz and dance music. This dance mix doesn't use enough of the original material for me to enjoy. It's more of an original dance tune that sparsely samples the source material.
  • Lay Down Your Pain (BBG Better Place Mix) - Toni Childs (Remixed by BBG)
    Childs never the got the attention she deserved. This is a good tune and the remix makes it better.
  • Love Him Anyway (David Morales Alt. Dub) - Sherree Ford-Payne (Remixed by David Morales)
    Never heard of the artist or the song. After this listen, I probably won't hear it ever again.
  • No Frills Love (Moran Anthem Mix) - Jennifer Holliday (Remixed by Tony Moran)
    Wow. What a voice. Holliday can really belt it out. If not the best track on this release, it's certainly one of the top 3.
  • I Don't Know (Dekkard's Chilly Vocal Mix) - Noa (Remixed by Dekkard)
    "Produced by Pat Metheny"?!? That's certainly not what I expected to read in the liner notes. Even so, there's not much to this song or the remix.
  • Queer (Heftybag Mix)- Garbage (Remixed by Rabbit In The Moon)
    Garbage's music all sounds the same to me and I can't tell the difference between an original tune and a remixed tune. Still, this isn't terribly painful to listen to.
  • Novocaine For The Soul (Dekkard's Feeling Dub) - Eels (Remixed by Dekkard)
    A little darker than the other tracks. Better suited for a rave than a dance club.
  • Y.A.P. (Angels Hand Mix) - Young American Primitive (Remixed by Young American Primitive)
    Pass

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I can't hear late '90s dance music and not think of Scott. He is missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment