Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Miles Davis/Various DJ's - Panthalassa: The Remixes (1999)


Remix albums like this one are often a mistake for all parties involved, but this one isn't all bad. This CD allows DJ's to remix tracks from 3 Miles Davis albums from his "electric period": 1969's In A Silent Way, 1972's On The Corner, and 1974's Get Up With It. Why mess with classics? There's no way you can improve upon these songs. With Miles gone, Columbia has to find new ways to make more money from the music he left us, right? A product of its time, this release is heavy with drum-and-bass techniques. Would Miles like the end result? Probably, but I'm sure he would rather have laid down some new tracks instead of reusing tracks from 25+ years earlier. I'm not sure Teo Macero liked it, though. Miles always wanted to keep up with current trends. So, while this CD is good, it's not as good as I had hoped, nor as good as it could have been.

Tracks: Only 5 tracks here. You wouldn't think that a remix CD would clock in at under 50 minutes, but here it is. My favorite track is King Brett and Philip Charles' remix of Shhh. In A Silent Way is one of my favorite Miles recordings, so I am very disappointed in DJ Cam's remix included here - it's almost abrasive. On The Corner is funky enough as it is - no remix required, but Bill Laswell gives it a shot anyway. Very repetitive. Very repetitive. Very repetitive.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None. I can't even remember how I was led to this particular album.

No comments:

Post a Comment