Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, January 3, 2011

P.M. Dawn - The Bliss Album...? (1993)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a cassette tape, later replaced by a CD.

I'm not sure in which genre you'd place this group. Could be hip-hop, rap, r&b, new age, or something else. To me, its just good pop music with fairly decent songwriting. Very ethereal in some places. I never understood why this duo didn't become as popular as De La Soul. This release has aged well for the most part, but there are some tracks that scream early '90s hip-hop with heavy samples. It is representative of it's time to be sure. Even though it seems to be presented as a theme album, it's not a very cohesive album and falls apart near the end. The first two-thirds are solid, though.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #30
Peak on Billboard R&B albums chart: #23

Tracks: The first half of the disc is good, but the cover of The Beatles' Norwegian Wood isn't as good as I would have hoped. They redeem themselves on the strong single Looking Through Patient Eyes which samples George Michael's song, Father Figure. A song recorded for Eddie Murphy's movie Boomerang titled I'd Die Without You is a good tune, but seems out of place just stuck on the end of the disc.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This music takes me back to summer and fall of 1993, which was my last summer without children. I'm getting this image in mind of driving my black '92 Ford Explorer down Gessner Rd in Houston. Maybe my wife and I listened to this as we went shopping one Saturday? We were married for four years before we had children, but sometimes it is very hard to remember those years.

No comments:

Post a Comment