Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Adam Ant - Antics in the Forbidden Zone (1990)


GREATEST HITS WEEK (JANUARY 17-23, 2011)

Even though I wasn't a huge Adam Ant fan, I was probably the biggest Adam Ant fan at my high school. I did have all the albums and wore the band buttons on my shirts and jackets (see below). Adam Ant really lost me with 1983's Strip LP, produced, in part, by Phil Collins (wha?!? Talk about strange bedfellows). I hadn't heard any of the tracks from 1985's Vive Le Rock until I picked up this CD. From what I understand, Adam has battled some personal demons, but he made a nice comeback in '95 with the CD Wonderful. I remember having that CD, but I don't see it around here anymore. He also published an autobiography in 2006 which I've added to my reading list. Internet rumors insist that he'll release his first new music since '95 sometime during 2011. We'll see.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Ant's best album was 1980's Kings of the Wild Frontier, but his best single, Stand and Deliver, came from the Prince Charming LP. All those songs are included in tracks 5-10. I like tracks 3-17, lose interest with tracks 18 & 19 and am completely disinterested in the remaining tracks. Still, that's a pretty good percentage of good tracks on a CD. One of the best parts of this compilation is the inclusion of Beat My Guest, one of the best b-sides of all time.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: For some reason, this music, particularly music from Kings Of The Wild Frontier, reminds me of driving a crowded Markmobile to Brazos Mall in Lake Jackson on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

Various Adam Ant/Adam and the Ants pinbacks from my personal collection.
My favorite that I wore the most is the yellow one on the left.

2 comments:

  1. "Beat My Guest" has been my ringtone AND texttone since I've been able to have custom tones - when I got my first music phone five or six years ago, the LG Chocolate Touch, still the most awesome named phone ever. Have since assigned other songs to specific people but it remains default for others.

    Another favorite ringtone is the beginning of Kon Kan's "I Beg Your Pardon"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard the cover versions of "Stand And Deliver" by Sugar Ray (lame) and No Doubt (pretty good, actually)?

    "Stand and Delvier" - Sugar Ray

    There are many YouTube videos of No Doubt performing the song live (as an encore?) with a myraid of guests: Shirley Manson, Katy Perry, Janelle Monae, The Sounds, etc. The track itself came into my life when I bought their album at Target last year. The album is weak but that one track is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete