Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, October 25, 2013

Heatwave - Too Hot To Handle (1977)


"IT'S NEW TO ME" WEEK (OCTOBER 20-26, 2013)

I ♥ disco music. As soon as the funky opening title track from this album hits my speakers, I'm dancing like Rerun from What's Happening!!

Heatwave described itself as "part English, part American and all funky" which is accurate. The keys to the band's sound were the fantastic vocals of Johnnie Wilder, Jr coupled with the top-notch songwriting by Rod Temperton. Temperton would go on to write for Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones and you can hear definite similarities between Heatwave and MJ. I hadn't heard the entire album until very recently, but I was familiar with Heatwave because, as I've written before, their song Always And Forever is THE. BEST. SLOW. JAM. OF. ALL. TIME! As Craig Lytle writes over at Allmusic: "The ballad "Always and Forever" was and continues to be an ageless piece. Johnnie Wilder's vocal exhibition throughout the vamp is breathtaking." Truth. I've loved that song from the get-go.

From the liner notes:

I'm not sure about all that, but it's a great party album.

And in related news, "Too Hot To Handle" was my nickname in college.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #11
  • Billboard R&B: #5
  • CashBox: #13

Tracks, in order of preference:
  1. Always and Forever: This song could be my favorite ballad of all time. I'm immediately relaxed from the first notes on the organ and toms. Then the strings come in, then fantastic vocals from Johnnie Wilder, Jr., then tight vocal harmonies on the chorus. This song builds and builds until the 3:08 mark when it takes a break before building again. Classic. I love it so much I (almost) never sing along with Wilder because I just want to listen.
  2. Boogie Nights: When I'd hear this hit single on the radio, I always thought the introduction somehow sounded tropical (maybe it was suggested by the band name?). In any case, this takes a great bass line and rhythm guitar part and turns them into a great disco chart. I like the way the synth solo is doubled with a vocal.
  3. Too Hot To Handle: A great opening track that gets me dancin'. Sounds like a Michael Jackson or Brothers Johnson tune from around that time, complete with Earth Wind &Fire type horn licks.
  4. Beat Your Booty: The album finishes as strong as it starts. How could I possibly resist a solid funk song that contains the line "Beat your booty if you ain't been doin' your duty"?? ("Duty" to be pronounced "dew-TAY")
  5. All You Do is Dial: More soul than disco, but sweet vocal harmonies over a bossa beat makes this cut a winner. Who woulda thought that using the word "dial" as a verb in that way would date the lyrics?
  6. Ain't No Half Steppin': This one never seems to get going in spite of disco strings soaring over a funky synth bass.
  7. Lay It on Me: I'm indifferent to this one. It's pleasant enough to listen to (particularly the chorus) - don't love it, don't hate it.
  8. Sho'nuff Must Be Love: This ballad is smooth, but ultimately boring, especially when compared to the two other slow songs on the album.
  9. Super Soul Sister: Despite a cool Clavinet opening and a syncopated funk beat, this as close as it gets to a filler track on this album. Not much of melody in either the verse or chorus.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I'm reminded of Friday nights in 6th grade when my buddy Charlie and I would go to the local roller rink. I was an 11 year old roller disco fool.

1 comment:

  1. Better late than never...

    Same skating rink memories here. Man, this is a good album.

    Liked it even better as an expanded disc in a 2CD set with the similarly expanded second album Central Heating with "The Groove Line" which is now forever associated with Freaks and Geeks.

    "Always And Forever" is a great but the best slow jam of all time in my book is this one.

    ReplyDelete