Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Friday, October 25, 2013

Weldon Irvine - Spirit Man (1975)


"IT'S NEW TO ME" WEEK (OCTOBER 20-26, 2013)

Considering this is a fairly recent addition to my collection, it is odd that I don't remember what prompted me to order this CD.  And I probably wouldn't have listened to this album much if I had purchased before I turned 30.  I guess none of that matters now.  This album is 38 minutes of tight, groundbreaking instrumental soul-jazz-funk in the same vein as Herbie Hancock's Headhunters"I called it rock-jazz at the time," Irvine says. "I would write a bassline that James Brown would be comfortable with, and have an R&B drum pattern going with that bassline. I would then borrow a melody from my jazz experience and put it together."

Irvine is the composer and keyboard player here, but he was a bit of a polymath.  He also was poet, playwright and, later, a rapper under the name Master Wel.  Sadly, he would commit suicide in 2002 at the age of 58, but his legacy continues in the hip-hop world where his work continues to be heavily sampled.  This album was unavailable on CD until 2012.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart:  Did not chart.

Tracks:  Your introduction to Weldon Irvine should be We Gettin' Down.  Maybe its inclusion on the excellent compilation album Digger's Delight will grab a few more fans.  Other good tracks include the suggestive Pogo Stick and The Power And The Glory.  The most experimental piece is Blast Off, but I don't even skip that. 

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.

1 comment:

  1. Know his music from its sampled use in hip-hop.

    Dug out Digger's Delight to hear that song of his.

    Too bad his music is not on Spotify.

    ReplyDelete