Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Various Artists - Super Hits of the '70s: Have a Nice Day, Vol. 17 (1993)


Disc 17 of 25. Most discs in this series limit themselves to about a 12-month time span; however, this disc contains singles that peaked on the charts between August 1971 - March 1976. The liner notes claim the volume is dedicated to one-hit wonders, but several acts (Orleans, Freddy Fender, Mike Post) had other songs hit the Top 40.

Tracks:
  • Dancing In The Moonlight - King Harvest: Peaked at #13 in February 1973
    I loves me some '70s soft rock and this laid back, electric piano-driven groove is right in my wheelhouse. Everybody here is outta sight.
  • Rings - Cymarron: Peaked at #17 in August 1971.
    A harmless early '70s pop/folk/country tune. Since it's devoid of any memorable melody and has mumbled lyrics, I'm surprised it made the Top 40 at all.
  • (I Don't Want To Love You But) You Got Me Anyway - Sutherland Brothers & Quiver: Peaked at #48 in September 1973.
    I'm going to nitpick and state that this song doesn't even qualify as a one-hit wonder since it didn't crack the Top 40. However, I'll admit it probably should have since it has a contagious chorus that conveys the universal, timeless, and helpless feeling of "I love you but I hate you." We've all been there.
  • Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues - Danny O'Keefe: Peaked at #9 in November 1972
    Too country for my tastes. I would also guess that I developed a disdain for this song because of its slow tempo. As a little kid, I wanted faster tunes, preferably the latest dance track. Hearing it again 40 years later, it isn't a bad song at all. But in '72, the target audience for a song with the lyrics "You're not a kid at 33" was definitely not a 6 year old boy.
  • Painted Ladies - Ian Thomas: Peaked at #34 in January 1974
    Sounds too much like CSN&Y or America; two groups I've never much cared for. However, if you're going to be derivative in your writing, you might as well copy from top-selling groups. I keep thinking the verse is going to lead into the chorus from A Horse With No Name.
  • Before The Next Teardrop Falls - Freddy Fender: Peaked at #1 in May 1975
    A tender Tex-Mex ballad that should have resonated with this young Texan, but never did. At 8 years old, what did I know about teardrops and romance? The only reason for me to cry in 1975 was when my sister maliciously broke my G.I. Joe.
  • Rendezvous - Hudson Brothers: Peaked at #26 in August 1975
    I remember the Hudson Brothers more for their Saturday morning variety show, The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show. I'm sure this song was performed on said show. It sounds like something Shaun Cassidy would have sung. It didn't sound familiar to me until I heard the falsetto "Why don't you take me on a..." that leads into the chorus, then it all came back and I sang along just like I was 9 years old again.
  • Smokin' In The Boy's Room [sic] - Brownsville Station: Peaked at #3 in January 1974
    A great stick-it-to-the-man rock blues boogie. One of the best tracks on this compilation, along with...
  • Dance With Me - Orleans: Peaked at #6 in October 1975
    Wow, that is one catchy song with beautiful, tight harmonies. Loved it then, love it still.
  • The Rockford Files - Mike Post: Peaked at #10 in August 1975
    In the '70s, not only did TV shows have original theme songs, but they could become Top 40 hits. Mike Post was the king of the TV theme, mainly working for producer Steven Cannell. This theme to the James Garner show is good, but nothing can top his wonderful soft rock theme to The Greatest American Hero.
  • Love Hurts - Nazareth: Peaked at #10 in March 1976
    The original power ballad? Could be. I liked the song as a kid even though I didn't know what I was singing about. Bonus points for its inclusion in Dazed And Confused.
  • Feelings - Morris Albert: Peaked at #6 in October 1975
    A song so insipidly bad that it immediately became mocked, parodied, and ridiculed upon its release. It ranked #9 on Rolling Stone magazine's readers' poll of The 10 Worst Songs of the 1970s. It probably should have been #1, but that honor went to Rick Dees' Disco Duck, which I'd much rather hear over this schmaltz.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  It's a little embarrassing, but I'll admit to recently watching a few episodes of The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show. Not a great choice, but it did bring back some memories from the mid-70's, mainly being hopped up on sugar cereal on Saturday mornings and running around the house while my mother yelled at me to go outside and play.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Volume 1Volume 2Volume 3
Volume 6Volume 9Volume 12
Volume 15Volume 16
Volume 18Volume 19
Volume 21   Volume 22

No comments:

Post a Comment