Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, February 1, 2013

Various Artists - Super Hits of the '70s: Have a Nice Day, Vol. 21 (1993)


Disc 21 of 25. This disc contains singles that peaked on the charts between August 1977 - September 1978. This is a rare volume from this series in that I remember every song. I must have listened to the radio constantly in those days. Lots of my soft rock favorites on this one, plus a few stinkers.

Tracks:
  • Black Betty - Ram Jam: Peaked at #18 in September 1977.
    Based on a 19th century folk/work song, this thing's got a helluva wicked riff. Catchy as all get out. Reminds me of the Johnny Depp movie Blow.
  • Star Wars Theme/Cantina Band - Meco: Peaked at #1 in October 1977.
    This cheesy crap is exactly the kind of thing that appealed to me when I was 11. Loved it back then and looked forward to hearing the R2D2 sounds. Now, however, it is painful to get through. May the disco be with you.
  • Baby Come Back - Player: Peaked at #1 in January 1978.
    Ah, that's the stuff. This Hall & Oates knock-off has a great bass line and chorus hook. Wikipedia says that Player is not a one-hit wonder because their follow-up hit, This Time I'm In It For Love, went to #10, but I choose not to believe that.
  • Telephone Man - Meri Wilson:  Peaked at #18 in August 1977.
    Hated this novelty song in '77. Nothing's changed. Some of the weakest double entendres I've ever heard. The best feature of this song is its brevity.
  • Thunder Island - Jay Ferguson:  Peaked at #9 in April 1978.
    Don't know much about Ferguson other than this song, but I always liked this song, particularly the funky half-time groove during the verses and the lyricless chorus.
  • Sometimes When We Touch - Dan Hill:  Peaked at #3 in March 1978.
    Yes, this song is a big sissyfest, but when it came on the radio, my 11 year old self would sing along earnestly. I took it so seriously back then that I have to laugh at myself now. Not surprisingly, this song has been rated #9 on the list of the worst 75 songs on the Pop Culture Madness website and #40 on the list of AOL Radio's 100 Worst Songs Ever.
  • Werewolves Of London - Warren Zevon:  Peaked at #21 in May 1978.
    In which Zevon has his biggest hit by howling over a piano riff shamelessly lifted from Sweet Home Alabama.
  • Goodbye Girl - David Gates:  Peaked at #15 in April 1978.
    Gates was the lead singer of Bread if that explains anything. Never saw the movie this song was attached to, but I still think this is a catchy tune. My family moved in August 1978 and I thought this song perfectly captured the spirit of the relationship between me and my girlfriend that would soon be a long-distance girlfriend. Nowadays, I can't even remember her name. Let's go with Kim.
  • It's A Heartache - Bonnie Tyler: Peaked at #3 in June 1978.
    Ah, that voice. There's just something about it. I much prefer this country rock song to the Jim Steinman stuff she would later record. (Did you hear about the new Bonnie Tyler GPS? Don't purchase one - it keeps telling me to turn around and every now and then it falls apart.)
  • Bluer Than Blue - Michael Johnson: Peaked at #12 in July 1978.
    Simply put, this is one of my all time favorite soft rock songs.
  • Kiss You All Over - Exile: Peaked at #1 in September 1978.
    Not very subtle and, to be honest, not very catchy. I can take it or leave it. After this hit, the group switched to country music.
  • Magnet And Steel - Walter Egan: Peaked at #8 in August 1978.
    That's Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham on the track, insuring that the song sounds like something from Fleetwood Mac. I don't understand the use of a toy piano under the chorus. Magnet and steel is strained metaphor, for sure. When I was young, I thought Egan was singing "man" instead of "magnet" and couldn't understand why he was singing a love song to another man. Now it all makes sense.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Most of the songs on this disc remind me of my last year in elementary school (6th grade) when me and my buddy Charlie would go to the local skating rink every Friday night, trying to pick up girls (and failing miserably). All that's missing is a couple of Eddie Money songs. "And the next song will be lady's choice!"

Previously revisited for the blog:
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 9
Volume 18
Volume 19
Volume 22

No comments:

Post a Comment