Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, August 17, 2012

Various Artists - Funk Classics: The 80's (1996)


Not a lot of funk here, but it's a decent compilation for the price. This disc delivers some hits, but the inclusion of late '80s tune is questionable - it's a very mixed bag with both Kurtis Blow and E.U. No liner notes.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:
  • Super Freak - Rick James (1981, #3 R&B, #16 pop, #1 dance)
    A simple, but very, very effective dance bass line. Background vocals from The Temptations. It's a classic for sure, but lyrics haven't aged well (admittedly, they weren't great to begin with). Is it still a freaky scene because a girl has incense, wine, and candles in her room?
  • Atomic Dog - George Clinton (1982, #1 R&B, #101 pop, #38 dance)
    Speaking of lyrics, "Bow-wow-wow-yippee-yo-yippee-yay!" may be some of my favorite '80s lyrics. Amazingly, no one has ever named their band Atomic Dog.
  • You Dropped A Bomb On Me - The Gap Band (1982, #2 R&B, #31 pop, #39 dance)
    I never though that much of this electrofunk song, but it doesn't make me reach for the skip button, either. Meh, I guess.
  • Freakshow On The Dancefloor - Bar-Kays (1984, #2 R&B, #73 pop)
    Hard to believe this is the same group that recorded Soul Finger. In any case, I don't remember this one from 1984. It should be sarcastically noted that this song appeared in the movie Breakin' and was included on that soundtrack.
  • Stomp - The Brothers Johnson (1980, #1 R&B, #7 pop, #1 dance)
    I always liked this post-disco single, but it's easy to see why. The song was co-written by Rod Temperton and produced by Qunicy Jones - the team that would later make Thriller. As a result, it sounds like something from that album or Off The Wall.
  • Call Me - Skyy (1982, #1 R&B, #26 pop, #3 dance)
    I vaguely remember this tune from the radio, but it doesn't get any playing time around here these days.
  • The Breaks - Kurtis Blow (1980, #4 R&B, #87 pop, #9 dance)
    A very early hip-hop hit and probably the first 12" single I ever heard. This song was played at every party I attended in 8th grade. Now when I hear it, I just get a big S.E.G.
  • So Fine - Howard Johnson (1982, #6 R&B, #1 dance)
    Too smooth to really be considered funk, this might be the best song on the disc.
  • She's A Bad Mama Jama - Carl Carlton (1981, #2 R&B, #22 pop, #20 dance)
    With a bass line you just can't resist (I'm doing a little 'seat-dancing' as I write this). This just brought a smile to my face.
  • Push It - Salt-N-Pepa (1988, #28 R&B, #19 pop, #18 dance)
    This is an '80s song? I would have guessed early '90s. Oh well, it never did much for me and seems very out of place here.
  • Get Down On It - Kool & The Gang (1982, #4 R&B, #10 pop, #16 dance)
    I just love K&TG. This was some great radio-friendly funk. Recommended.
  • Da Butt - E.U. (1988, #1 R&B, #35 pop, #23 dance)
    A late '80s novelty tune from a Spike Lee movie. It's catchy the first few times you hear it, but it's still a novelty tune. (I have to admit that I find myself singing it from time to time).
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment