Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Stance Brothers - Kind Soul (2007)


Finnish import.

On the (now defunct) record company website, this trio claimed to "represent raw garage jazz in its purest form." I'm not exactly sure what that means, but this Finnish group play a nice combination of acid jazz, trip-hop, and downbeat and mix it together with some fresh beats in what becomes a timeless tribute to early '70s jazz/funk. Now that I look at what I just wrote, it makes about as much sense as "raw garage jazz." It also sounds like a lot of sampling and looping, but the music is all played by a band with no production tricks. It's a hard to describe sound so I'll stop trying. It's different and I like it. It's one of those albums you own and brag about because you think it makes you way hipper than people who don't own it: "What? You've never heard of the Stance Brothers?!?"

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: My favorites are Steve McQueen, Jay's Lament, Upside The Head, and She May Be Moody (which grooves a lot like the song California Soul, except with harpsichord and vibraphone). There's also a nice cover of George Duke's Capricorn. Don't skip any tracks.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None. Even though this was released in 2007, it took me 5 years to hear about it and purchase a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment