Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Various Artists - Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s, Vol. 4 (1994)

CD cover

This is the 4th volume of a fantastic 15 volume set released in the mid-'90s by the always wonderful Rhino Records. This is one of the weaker volumes in the series. Songs on this volume are from the years 1980-1982. I just recently acquired volume 6 of this series, completing my set.

Tracks:
  • Freedom Of Choice - Devo (US #103)
    This follow-up to the band's hit, Whip It, is more of the same.
  • Generals And Majors - XTC (US #104, UK #32)
    I can't explain why XTC wasn't bigger in the US. Maybe they were a bit too quirky. The band's pop songwriting was always top-notch and this song is no exception. The band's 1989 album Oranges & Lemons has been on my wishlist for a few years. I should go ahead and pull the trigger on that.
  • Switchin' To Glide - The Kings (US #43)
    Canadian one-hit wonders. 'Nuff said.
  • Up All Night - The Boomtown Rats
    Despite an awesome band name, I always felt this group was overrated. I'm more familiar with this song as bumper music from the syndicated Jim Rome radio show than as a '80s song.
  • The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em) - Greg Kihn Band (US #15)
    More power pop than new wave, I remember this song from the radio back in '81. I prefer the band's later hit, Jeopardy, but I not really crazy about that one, either.
  • Love And Loneliness - The Motors (US #78, UK #58)
    Over the top epic in the style of Jim Steinman. Easily forgettable.
  • About the Weather - Magazine
    I like the piano riff and how it moves into a Motown feel. The singer's voice isn't the best, but certainly not a bad mod song along the lines of The Jam.
  • Precious To Me - Phil Seymour (US #22)
    Not exactly a New Wave song, this is a catchy pop/rock number. Before buying this CD, I hadn't heard the song in 30+ years, but I remembered it immediately.
  • Girls On Film - Duran Duran (UK #5)
    Great early New Romantic song. This song also in my collection on The Singles 81-85 and Decade.
  • Everywhere That I'm Not - Translator
    There's nothing about this song that I like. Can't believe a record exec thought it was worth recording and releasing. Maybe I'm missing something.
  • I Could Be Happy - Altered Images (UK #7)
    I've always liked the songs I've heard from this band. This is certainly an upbeat, happy song. I would imagine it was the singer's voice that kept this band from being popular in the US.
  • Working Girl - The Members
    Most of the music I've heard from this group is more punk-ish, but this is a good pop song with a catchy chorus.
  • What Do All The People Know - The Monroes (US #59)
    This hook-filled song should have reached higher on the charts and I should have heard of this San Diego band before now. Alas, neither happened.
  • It's Going To Happen! - The Undertones (UK #18)
    Another tune that should have been more well-known in the US. The chunky guitars and horn parts are good enough for me to overlook Feargal Sharkey's vocal quaver.
  • Ziggy Stardust - Bauhaus (UK #15)
    I was never a fan of this Bowie song or of Bauhaus.
  • Tainted Love - Soft Cell (US #8, UK #1)
    Previously reviewed here. Here's what I said then: "Another cover, this was a big hit and the all-time favorite song of my friend Scott. Me, I can take it or leave it." Thankfully, the version on this disc doesn't segue into the group's unnecessary cover of Where Did Our Love Go.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 5
Volume 8
Volume 9
Volume 12
Volume 14
New Wave Xmas
New Wave Dance Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment