Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Everything But The Girl - Amplified Heart (1994)


I don't remember ever sitting down and figuring out a top ten list of albums from the 1990s, but should I ever do that, I'm fairly confident this album would make the list. This is a nice collection of laid back, self-pitying songs that sound like your favorite soft rock of the '70s. However, if these songs had been released in the '70s, one of them would have appeared in a Wes Anderson movie by now. The simple instrumentation relying mainly on acoustic instruments with understated production appeals to me. This was the first EBTG album I ever heard and it remains my favorite even though it is only 36½ minutes long.

Billboard, July 23, 1994, p. 58

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #46

Tracks: I like all 10 and never skip any of 'em. The big hit was a Todd Terry remix of Missing, but that's not really representative of the songs here, although the original mix of Missing is one of the better tracks here.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I purchased this CD when it was released based on the strength of Missing. Soon after buying it, I listened to this CD constantly one weekend as I painted my living room. This is one of those rare CDs that after you give it a first listen, you immediately listen to it again. In fact, I think that's what I'm going to do today.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Missing (1995)
Acoustic (1992)

No comments:

Post a Comment