Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Spyro Gyra - Breakout (1986)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by a CD.

Another summer CD for sure (at least for me). While I've remained a big fan of the band throughout their long career, the early and mid '80s is my favorite period for this group. While this CD isn't quite as good as 1982's Incognito or 1983's City Kids, it is still a solid SG release. I think the cover art looks better suited for a Marillion album, which got me to thinking (uh-oh): SG covers, which never feature a photo of the band, have either fantastic graphics(e.g., Incognito, Freetime, Wrapped In A Dream) or horrible (e.g., debut album, Original Cinema, Fast Forward, Down the Wire). There's no middle ground. Ah well, we don't really buy CDs for the album art. I normally don't buy into the whole "vinyl is so much better and warmer that digital" argument, but I do miss walking into a record store and looking at 12" album covers like I was in an art gallery.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #71
  • Billboard Jazz: #1
  • Billboard Pop CD: #29
  • CashBox Jazz: #2
  • CashBox CD: #25
  • Radio & Records Jazz Radio National Airplay Chart: #2

Tracks: The opener, Bob Goes To The Store, is one of my all-time favorite cuts from this band. Also good are Freefall and Body Wave. The title track and Whirlwind harken back to their more experimental sound of the late '70s; I don't care for those as much. The rest is solid Latin-flavored smooth jazz, typical of the band for this time period.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This CD reminds me of a trip to Matagorda Beach with Richard Longoria. We listened to a cassette dub of my LP on the drive down to the beach during '86. I still miss Richard; it's hard to believe that more than 20 years have passed since he left us.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Good To Go-Go (2007)
Original Cinema (2003)
20/20 (1997)
Stories Without Words (1987)
Access All Areas (1984)
Incognito (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment