Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Various Artists - Music from the Television Series 'Miami Vice' (1985)


Man, I loved this show. If you believe the legend behind its origin, Brandon Tartikoff wrote a brainstorming memo that simply read "MTV cops." And there ya go. Many years ago, I ordered two Miami Vice VHS tapes off eBay and this disc came with them. I fairly certain this the first time I've listened to this CD in its entirety. The tapes included the pilot episode, which inexplicably has barely any scenes in Miami (sort of like the 2006 Miami Vice movie, which was set in Cuba). Anyway, I recently caught a few reruns on the Sleuth network and wondered why I ever watched the show. After so many years, an edgy, groundbreaking show loses its edginess. I won't be buying the complete series DVD box set (I still wear Wayfarers, though). This soundtrack was so popular, it had 2 sequels, released in 1986 and 1988. Those discs are not currently in the collection.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #1 (11 weeks between Nov 2, 1985 - Jan 18, 1986)
  • Billboard Pop CD: #4
  • Billboard R&B: #9
  • CashBox CD: #3


Tracks: Of the 11 tracks, 5 are instrumentals written for the show by Jan Hammer, including the classic Miami Vice Theme, which went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1985, the last instrumental to hold that spot. The other 6 tracks are popular songs by Glenn Frey (the hits You Belong To The City & Smuggler's Blues), Chaka Khan (the forgettable Own The Night), Phil Collins (In The Air Tonight, which owned the pilot episode), Grandmaster Melle Mel (Vice), and Tina Turner (the hit Better Be Good To Me). Melle Mel is a hip-hop musical visionary and a member of the Rock and Rock Hall of Fame (with Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five), but his contribution here is unlistenable.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: For Halloween of 1985, I dressed as Sonny Crockett. At age 19, it took me a week to grow a 5 o'clock shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment