Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, September 4, 2026

Evie Sands - Any Way That You Want Me (1970)

CD cover art

Note: the CD I listened to was the 2005 Rev-Ola reissue import from the UK that includes a bonus track.

I consider the 1975 album Estate Of Mind to be one of the best pop albums of the 1970s, so I picked up this CD based solely because it was Evie Sands. I wanted more of the same; I didn't get it. It's not a terrible album - Evie is in fine voice - it's simply not what I wanted nor expected. Different songwriters, different producers, different backing band. It happens.

Press of the time:
  • Rolling Stone: "definitely commercial but always in good taste."
  • Billboard: "sure to win many new fans"
  • CashBox: "strong melodic vocal talent"
  • Record World: "Evie has a husky-sweet voice and the look and sound of a winner."


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: It's fairly generic slow tempo '60s folk rock with an occassional hint of soul music (think Dusty In Memphis with weaker material). Single releases that appear on the album include But You Know I Love You (#110), Any Way That You Want Me (#53), Take Me For A Little While, and One Fine Summer Morning. I think the title cut is the best track on the original album, closely followed by Take Me For A Little While. Inexplicably, we only get 30 seconds (fade in-fade out) of a cover of James Taylor's Carolina On My Mind. Would like to have heard the whole thing.

Bonus track: the 1969 single Maybe Tomorrow, composed by Quincy Jones with lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman. It was recorded for the film John and Mary and 'bubbled under' Billboard's Hot 100 at #116. The chorus is quite nice, but I understand why it didn't chart higher.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Estate Of Mind (1975)

No comments:

Post a Comment