Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Neu! (1972)


Note: the CD I listened to was the 2001 remaster, imported from the EU. Here's a proper summary that appeared in The Guardian at the time of re-release: Neu! That's what I call music

Neu! was a krautrock group formed in Düsseldorf in 1971 by guitarist Michael Rother and drummer Klaus Dinger, both of whom had previously been members of Kraftwerk. The two bands share what came to be recognized as the characteristic minimalist, repetitive krautrock sound: driving rhythms, layered textures, and electronic effects. I really like the fact that the guitar plays a big role instead of being exclusively keyboards. What we've got here are instrumental, lengthy, compositions that are part rock, part electronic, and part avant-garde. Influential on future post-punk/ambient/electronic musicians: I've seen comparisons ranging from Can to Joy Division to Tangerine Dream to Neil Young, if that helps you any. My reaction every time I spin this disc: "I can't believe this came out in '72! Unreal!"

I was brought to this album over 40 years after its release after I went down a Conny Plank rabbithole one afternoon when I was bored with my job down at the cubicle farm. I became fascinated with the origins of the now-familiar motorik beat, which very possibly had its first appearance ever on the album's lead track, Hallogallo.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Hallogallo is definitely the star here, but also good are Negativland and the slower Weissensee. The vocals on the album closer, Lieber Honig, render it unlistenable. To be fair, I think that's the point.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: See above.

No comments:

Post a Comment