Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, December 8, 2023

Various Artists - Yule Struttin': A Blue Note Christmas (1990)


Every year I tell myself that I'm not buying any new Christmas CDs and that thought usually lasts until I see or hear a recommendation. I've broken that self-imposed rule several times already this year, including this recent purchase.

DownBeat, January 1991, p. 36

Most tunes were recorded around the 1990 release date, but the set also includes earlier tracks from Chet Baker, Count Basie, and Dexter Gordon. It's an uneven affair, sadly. I was hoping for more from Blue Note, but I'm going to put this in the "good, not great" group.


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:

The better cuts are 3, 5, 8, 9 & 12. The "recently rediscovered" Monk tune is good and of the two versions here, the better is Benny Green on solo piano. My least favorite tracks bookend the set, Vauncing Chimes and Little Drummer Boy.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I tried spinning this one as we decorated the tree this year, but the vibe wasn't quite right so I switched to other stuff fairly quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment