Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, May 22, 2023

Wetton/Downes - Icon (2005)


European import

And to the surprise of absolutely no one, this sounds remarkably like an Asia album.


It's a little more poppish than Asia, but the overall sound is quite familiar. I like it good enough, but will I ever pick one of the subsequent releases by this duo? Only time will tell.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Highlights are God Walks With Us and the chorus of I Stand Alone. The only true misstep is Far Away which is an attempt at a midtempo prog-pop ballad in the vein of latter-day ELO; a more successful ballad is the lullaby Sleep Angel. I'd have liked a real rocker or two, but ya get what ya get.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: none, but on a related note, I recently caught "The Buggles" opening for Seal on his current tour. Sadly, Geoffrey Downes was not present. Was Downes invited to rejoin Trevor Horn for the dates? I can't find any evidence either way, but my gut feeling says no. Maybe it was because Horn wore a tshirt that read "Solitary Buggle" while the rest of the band had shirts that read "Best Buggles (Ever)".

No comments:

Post a Comment