Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, March 20, 2023

Tagg/McNulty Band - At The Legendary Popsicle Toes Club In Dallas TX 1986 (2018)


A CDBaby self-release of a soundboard recording at a concert at a Dallas nightclub in 1986. Purchased because of my familiarity with Tagg through his involvement with Lee Ritenour in the '80s and his few hard-to-find import-only solo releases. I am unfamiliar with Kelly McNulty, but his vocal stylings are definitely influenced by Michael McDonald. The band here is good and Tagg is in fine voice, but the sound quality isn't that great. I guess that's to be expected - they probably recorded to a cassette that night and then the tape sat in somebody's closet for 30 years.

No packaging or liner notes other than a simple cardboard sleeve with the same photo on both sides. The CD is good as a curiosity, but not a must-have.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: 11 tracks, 62 minutes. Naturally, I'm attracted to the songs I'm already familiar with: Sunset Drivers, No Sympathy, and Mr. Briefcase. The others are all in the same vein and I wonder if tapes of studio versions exist somewhere. With no liner notes, I'm left to speculate who wrote what. The best of these other 8 tunes are Radio Silence and Love Like Me Like A Train. Think Of Me lifts takes its cues from popular Madonna tunes of the time, but the band is able to make it work.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: From 1984-88, I attended university in a very small town located about an hour northeast of Dallas. Popsicle Toes was located near Greenville Avenue just east of the SMU campus. I had heard of the place because the Dallas Jazz Orchestra played there most Sunday nights back in the '80s and I had classmates who would occasionally drive into the big city to hear DJO shows. Sadly, I never attended a show at the club. Might have tried to make this one if I had known about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment