Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, January 8, 2023

David Bowie - Reality (2003)


Bowie was 56 years old when Reality was released. As I write these words, I am 56 years old. So it's hardly surprising that I like this album better now than I did back in 2003. So when he belts out "I'm never ever gonna get old" and includes the word "OLD" crossed out on the lyric sheet, I'm right there with David as we celebrate our mutual denial.


But Mark, you always say you're not a lyrics guy - what gives? That's true - when Simon sings nonsense about the reflex being a lonely child waiting by the park, that doesn't interest me much. But when we're dealing with themes of "weary retrospection and aging regret," as Bowie does throughout these songs, I've almost got no choice but to pay heed.


As for the music, this thing has plenty of catchy rock riffs and hooks and probably sounded fantastic live. I think many longtime fans would prefer the music to harken back to the '70s sounds more often (admittedly, I find myself wanting to hear a disjunct Robert Fripp solo in a few of these tunes) but why should it? One shouldn't expect Bowie to repeat himself, after all. That said, this album, and the two studio albums that followed over a decade later, make for a nice trilogy with similar sounds and themes. And the more I listen to them, the more I like them.

Press of the time:
  • Rolling Stone (★★★): "Reality turns out to be an intriguing place"
  • Entertainment Weekly (C+): " Ground control to Major Tom: Ditch the new reality and go back to the old school."
  • Metacritic: 74 out of 100 (critics), 8.3 out of 10 (users)



Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #29
Peak on the Billboard Top Album sales chart: #29

Tracks: The album starts off with a powerful trio of songs, New Killer Star, Pablo Picasso (a cover of the Modern Lovers tune), and Never Get Old. Those cuts all sound fantastic pouring out of your car/truck speakers as you speed down the road with your windows down (I speak from experience). I also really like the dreamy pop of Days, the frenzied title track, and the sublime ballad that closes the album, Bring Me The Disco King.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
★ (2016)
The Next Day (2013)
Zeit! 77-79 (2013)
Changesbowie (1990)
Tonight (1984)
Let's Dance (1983)

No comments:

Post a Comment