Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

The Nylons - One Size Fits All (1982)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by a CD. The album was originally issued in the quartet's native Canada in 1982. From what I can figure, it was initially released in the US on Open Air Records in late 1984. If I'm wrong about that, please correct me.

Regardless of the above release history, I picked up a vinyl copy of this album in or about 1987 and it got plenty of play on my turntable around that time. A fantastic, albeit brief, a capella album from a male Canadian quartet. Catchy as all get-out. In a similar vein as Pentatonix but with better arrangements, without as many production gimmicks, and infinitely more enjoyable - to this guy, at least.

Today's useless trivia: according to Billboard, the group was named
International Chartbreakers of the Year by the Society of Record Dealers for the Benelux countries. The award is for their Attic LP, 'One Size Fits All,' and the single "That Kind of Man." The award is a tri-national one and the highest honor possible for an international act in the Netherlands.
Who knew? Plus, I just learned the term Benelux.

A few well-chosen covers, but mostly originals in a doo-wop/pop style. My wife loves the Pitch Perfect movie series and these recordings are so much better and believable than what's in those movies (please don't tell her I said so). Sure, it's no Take 6, but that's a high standard to set.

Of the four group members on this recording, only one is still with the group as of this writing (tenor Claude Morrison). The quartet's big break in the US would come later with a couple of singles from 1987's Happy Together album, including the title track and a cover of Steam's Kiss Him Goodbye.

Press of the time:
  • Billboard: "sleekly updated a capella style"
  • CashBox: "an eclectic and soulful effort"

photo from CD booklet

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart
Peak on the CashBox CD chart: #27

Tracks: My favorite track has always been Up The Ladder To The Roof, but that's just one of many good tunes. The top tier also includes the aforementioned That Kind Of Man, the doo-wop classic Silhouettes, Please, and Romance (If I Can Get It). Of the 10 tracks on the album, the only one I don't care for is track 4, Prince Of Darkness. The whole album clocks in at only 30 minutes, so it should be heard in its entirety.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This album, particularly the song Romance (If I Can Get It), reminds me of the brief time when I was involved in an extremely addictive relationship during my junior year of college.

No comments:

Post a Comment