Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, October 10, 2022

Various Artists - A Year In Your Life: 60s Vol. 1 (2001)


I saved a number of discs from the trash heap this past weekend and I'll spin a few I rescued from this series this week. It's a budget-priced nostalgia sampler, complete with '60s trivia questions in the liner notes and a general decade recap:


According to a now-defunct website, the A Year In Your Life series
provides a nostalgic trip down memory lane for Baby Boomers, Hippies and Generation X alike. An extensive 75 volume (and growing!) collection of music spanning the very best Rock, Pop and R&B hits from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, the series is a year by year and decade by decade anthology of the music that was the soundtrack to your life.
Currently, Discogs only lists 21 CDs so I'm unsure how many volumes were ever released; I have three.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: 10 tracks, 26 minutes. Not much bang for your buck, but the selections were definitely all hits. This volume skews towards early '60s R&B and that's just fine with me. Today, my favorite track is Hello Stranger.

ArtistSongYearHot 100R&B
Gene ChandlerDuke Of Earl196211
Barbara Lewis Hello Stranger196331
The Ad LibsBoy From New York City196586
Jerry Butler He Will Break Your Heart196071
Gladys KnightEvery Beat Of My Heart196161
Lenny Welch Since I Fell For You19634-
Soul SurvivorsExpressway To Your Heart196743
Mel Carter Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me*19658-
Dee ClarkRaindrops196123
Paul & Paula Hey Paula196311

*A closer inspection of the liner notes reveals the Mel Carter cut is "not the original recording but rather a re-recorded version by the original artist."

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I was familiar with most of the tunes, but was first introduced to many of them through covers in the '70s and '80s from the likes of Yvonne Elliman, Al Jarreau, Manhattan Transfer, Blues Brothers, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment