Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, May 1, 2022

Various Artists - Just Say Roe (1994)


The 7th and final CD in the Just Say Yes series from the Sire label, conceived specifically as a pro-choice album, hence the title reference to Roe v. Wade and the disturbing cover art. Originally budget-priced at $7.98, this was not a benefit album, but aimed to raise consciousness instead of money:

click image to enlarge

Since I only recognized the names of five of the 16 acts on the disc, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality on about half of the tracks here. Billboard magazine claimed the material was "top-shelf" while CashBox stated "there's some great music to be found here." From what I can find online, the compilation is of particular interest to Madonna completists as her contribution, Goodbye To Innocence, was not released elsewhere on CD.
 
Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:
  1. David Byrne - Lilies of the Valley, from the album David Byrne.
    Byrne is in good voice but the sparse instrumentation can't really figure what the form of the piece is - funk/rock with a vibraphone solo, maybe. However, I prefer this quirky Byrne to world music Byrne.
  2. Madonna - Goodbye to Innocence, previously unreleased
    Very much of its time, this gets my vote for best cut on the album. This highly danceable track was originally recorded for the Erotica album, but inexplicably didn't make the cut.
  3. Doubleplusgood - The Winding Song, single-only release
    Am told that this group is a side project of a Book Of Love keyboardist/songwriter. In any case, this is a good world music dance track under a rap vocal from Basil Lucas.
  4. Waterlillies - I Am Woman, previously unreleased
    A tasty trip-hop cover of the 1972 Helen Reddy tune.
  5. Belly - It's Not Unusual, b-side to Moon single
    Another good cover, this time of a tune we normally associate with Tom Jones. Sounds like an alt rock band having fun in the studio with a song they remember from their youth. Which is probably exactly what this is.
  6. The Farm - Comfort, from the album Hullabaloo.
    This moody, guitar-padded piece isn't my thing, but I'm guessing it might appeal to fans of Morrisey.
  7. John Wesley Harding - Right to Choose, recorded especially for this compilation
    I like this one. I dig the acoustic alt-rock sound and the way the song gradually builds.
  8. Kristin Hersh - Hysterical Bending, recorded especially for this compilation
    I don't particularly care for Hersh's singing voice, but the acoustic guitar part on this one is mesmerizing enough to make me overlook that.
  9. Scorpio Rising - It's Obvious, recorded especially for this compilation
    It's obvious this song was heavily influenced by Nirvana. The feedback and repetitive chorus is enough to turn me off
  10. Poster Children - Roe v. Wade, recorded especially for this compilation
    While it isn't something I normally listen to, I like the relentless drive of this DIY post-hardcore protest song.
  11. Danielle Dax - Defiled, recorded especially for this compilation
    Nope.
  12. Tripmaster Monkey - Blatant Affair, recorded especially for this compilation
    Fairly generic early '90s college rock.
  13. BiGod 20 - It's Up to You, recorded especially for this compilation
    Here we've got the German experimental techno contribution to the album. I wouldn't seek this out, but I'll sure dance to the thing.
  14. Judybats - What We Lose, from the album Full-Empty
    This sort of melodic-jangly-pop-alt-rock was right up my alley at the time so I have no idea how I missed this one even though I was familiar with the band then. Nice to discover it here.
  15. Ride - I Don't Want to Be a Soldier, previously unreleased
    Correctly or incorrectly, I'd label this as BritPop, a genre I never really got into.
  16. Greenberry Woods - Adieu, from the album Rapple Dapple
    Ending with some quality power pop is always appreciated. And I like the "adieu" wordplay throughout.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment