Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, April 22, 2022

Papa Doo Run Run - California Project (1985)


EARLY CD WEEK* (APRIL 18-23, 2022)

Musically, this disc ain't nothin' to write home about: a group of obviously talented musicians performing faithful, rote covers of Beach Boys tunes. I don't think the term "tribute band" was around in '85, but that's what we've got here. The Internet tells me the group was the house band at Disneyland from 1975-90 and might still be a touring group (their website hasn't been updated since 2012 so I have my doubts). Tribute bands aren't typically my thing; however, this disc has a bit of historical significance:

Billboard, August 10, 1985, p. 21

Guest artists on the CD include Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean, Mike Love of The Beach Boys, and John Stamos of Full House. I've seen promo materials/websites stating this album earned the group a Grammy nomination, but I can't find anything official that would confirm that claim.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart
Peak on the Billboard Pop CD chart: #22
Peak on the CashBox Top CD chart: #22

Tracks:

Wow - that Wilson guy could freakin' write, huh? As with every Telarc release I own, it's all very well done. But I'll stick with the Beach Boys originals.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None


*I recently compiled complete chart data for compact disc charts from both Billboard and CashBox magazines. While doing so, I saw the names of a number of very early sampler/demonstration discs with which I was completely unfamiliar. I found a few early CDs that charted, as well as similar discs from 1983-85, and am featuring those this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment