Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Level 42 (1981)


Note: the CD I listened to was the 2007 reissue with 5 bonus tracks.


The name of the band is a reference to the novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, in which "42" is the answer to "the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything." I tried reading that book once, but it just wasn't my thing. This Brit-jazz-funk music, however, is squarely in my wheelhouse.

At the time, New Musical Express called this album "dull, quiet music for contentment" but I disagree. There some poppish stuff here, to be sure, but there's also tunes that remind me of Spyro Gyra, Lee Ritenour, and other Fender Rhodes/slap bass/smooth jazz/instrumental pop/R&B-lite groups I was listening to at the time. Wish I'd had this album in that mix back then. No clue why the record labels didn't think this album wouldn't be a good fit in the US in '81, but I was 15 year knucklehead and what did I know? Polydor did release an extended 12" of the single Starchild in the US, which peaked at #57 on the dance chart.

Like many Americans, I first heard of Level 42 in 1986 when their fantastic single Something About You hit. I immediately went out and bought the World Machine album on which it appeared. My introduction to the group's earlier music was in 2015 when I was given a 1983 UK K-Tel compilation titled Cool Heat ("The hottest, jazziest, coolest, funkiest hits") which included a track from Level 42's third album, 1982's The Pursuit of Accidents.


While they could have easily gone in the direction of acid jazz of the course of their career, they chose the pop route and since that's where the money is, I can't say as I blame them.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Not released in US until 1986, peaked at #20 in the UK

Tracks: I dig them all, both the instrumentals as well vocal tracks - it's hard to find grooves that are both danceable and mellow, but here ya go. The UK singles were Love Games (#38), Turn It On (#57), and Starchild (#47). Track 7, Dune Tune, is a nice, dreamy change of pace.

Bonus tracks:

Live tracks are occasionally fluff on these re-releases, but the tunes form the 1983 performances show a lot of energy, excitement and some great soloing. Later performances from the year 2000 are a little more polished and subdued, as one might expect. There's also the aforementioned long version of Starchild, which I'm glad they included.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: See above.

No comments:

Post a Comment