Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, June 26, 2021

Shakatak - Drivin' Hard (1981)


German Import

My copy is an early CD release (I'm guessing mid-80's CD reissue) with a smooth-edged jewel case. I mention that fact because even though I've been buying CDs for almost 35 years, I only recently realized smooth-edged jewel boxes existed:


So I learned something new and by all accounts should just call it day, but I dig this album so let's keep going. I completely whiffed on Shakatak in the '80s and it's a damn shame because teenaged Mark would have enjoyed these Brit-funk instrumental grooves just as much as senior-discount Mark does these days. No, my introduction to the group was in 2015 when I was given a 1983 UK K-Tel compilation titled Cool Heat ("The hottest, jazziest, coolest, funkiest hits") which included a track from Shakatak.


So when I saw this Drivin' Hard CD, the band's first album release, I recognized the band name and picked it up. Not as jazzy as Incognito, but it would certainly fit my definition of "instrumental pop." Slickly produced, there's nothing here that wouldn't have been out of place on The Dude, an album which get regular spins around here. Of course, that album also placed on the Jazz LPs chart so what do I know 'bout genres? Upon hearing, one can easily see how things would evolve from this sound to the acid jazz of the '90s.

The group centers around keyboardist/composer Bill Sharpe, who plays piano throughout and composed 9 of the 10 tunes offered here. According to the band's website, he's still going 40+ years later so good on him. It's a fun, enjoyable listen and goes down smooth and easy. Glad I found it.

Press of the time:
Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Not released in US, peaked at #35 in the UK

Tracks: Two minor British chart hits bookend the album. The album leads off with an upbeat piano feature, Living In The UK, which peaked at #52 and closes with the samba-ish Brazilian Dawn, that sounds like it was lifted from a Sergio Mendes or George Duke album. It peaked at #48. The funkiest cut on the album is track 3, Toot The Shoot, which is much better than its title. Nothing to skip and works as well on shuffle as straight through.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: See above.

No comments:

Post a Comment