Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, March 20, 2021

Various Artists - Billboard Hot R&B Hits 1981 (1996)


Truth in advertising from the good folks over at Rhino. Ten R&B tunes from 1981, all were top 3 on the R&B chart, 8 of the 10 hit the top spot.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:
  1. Let's Groove - Earth, Wind & Fire
    Typical EW&F greatness - funky bass line, tasty horn licks, a bridge that's smooth as anything, and a chorus so good they start the song with it. Nominated for a Grammy in the Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal category.
  2. Just The Two Of Us - Grover Washington, Jr.
    I had the 45 (with picture sleeve, natch) in 1981, later bought Grover's 'best of' LP and replaced that with a CD.  While the 4 minute single version is featured on this disc, I encourage you to experience the full 7½ minute version: Richard Tee's intro, Bill Withers' vocals, the steelpan solo from Robert Greenidge, the subtle change of feel when MacDonald brings in his percussion backing track at around the 5:30 mark for the final choruses.
  3. A Woman Needs Love (Just Like You Do) - Ray Parker, Jr. & Raydio
    In this humble blogger's opinion, Ray Parker, Jr. is an underappreciated songwriter, producer, and guitarist. He consistently put out smooth grooves like this single for years. The baritone vocals of his music fit perfectly in my vocal range which means my family had to hear my a capella versions of tunes like this around the house quite often. I've always found it curious that Parker was a first-call session player, yet many of his own recordings don't feature much of his guitar playing.
  4. When She Was My Girl - The Four Tops
    The group's 23rd Top 40 hit. 23rd! It's always great to hear Levi Stubbs over those smooth background harmonies. Nominated for a Grammy in the Best R&B Song category, eventually losing to track 2, Just The Two Of Us. 
  5. Love On A Two Way Street - Stacy Lattisaw
    In spite of the overblown intro that sounds like it was taken straight from a Broadway overture, I love this cover of a late ‘60s soul song. Lattisaw has a young, innocent voice and it sounds like she just lost her first love. I'm only five months older than Lattisaw so it's very likely I thought I was going through the same kind of heartbreak (I wasn't). It's difficult not to sing along, so I don't fight the urge.
  6. Don't Stop The Music - Yarbrough & Peoples
    I don't love it. I can't pinpoint what exactly turns me off, but I'll admit it's got a fantastic bass line. And by the time the Chipmunks show up to contribute backing vocals, I'm ready to stop the music.
  7. Burn Rubber (Why You Wanna Hurt Me) - Gap Band
    The group would have more success on the pop charts the following year when they retitled this song as You Dropped A Bomb On Me. Is it plagiarism when you steal from yourself? Or was it simply a case of 'if it ain't broke...'?
  8. I'm In Love - Evelyn King
    Great groove from Kashif plus King is in fine voice. I always wondered why she would ever drop the "Champagne" from her credits because that's a HoF nickname if you ask me.
  9. What Cha' Gonna Do For Me - Chaka Khan
    Fantastic pop-soul song, complete with a Michael Brecker solo. Sounding like a song from The Dude (maybe the best R&B album of '81?), it's a crime this tune didn't chart higher on the pop charts.
  10. I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Part I) - Roger
    If I heard this cover back in '81, I have no memory of it. I normally wouldn't recommend that anyone cover a classic like this, particularly if versions by Marvin Gaye and Gladys Knight are readily available. I sure am digging this take, though. Funky arrangement which sounds like Devo attempting an Ohio reggae feel plus bari sax licks and talkbox. Catchy as hell. I immediately went in search of the most excellent 10+ minute version.

Charts, we got charts:

SongR&BHot 100DanceAC
Let's Groove133-
Just The Two Of Us32-2
A Woman Needs Love (Just Like You Do)14-11
When She Was My Girl111-9
Love On A Two Way Street226-19
Don't Stop The Music11926-
Burn Rubber (Why You Wanna Hurt Me)18419-
I'm In Love1401-
What Cha' Gonna Do For Me15322-
I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Part I)17925-


The overall #1 year-end R&B song for 1981, according to Billboard? Diana & Lionel duetting on Endless Love (more on my experience with that particular tune here.) From this CD, tracks placed at 4, 9, 11, 12, 16, 22, 27, & 48.  Let's Groove was released too late in the year for the '81 year-end chart, but would rank at #2 on the 1982 chart.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Nothing in particular for most tunes. I've recounted my Just The Two Of Us memory here. And you damn right we played an arrangement of Let's Groove in my high school marching band (mainly a percussion/tuba feature rather than full band, but let's not nitpick). Thanks to the wonders of technology, here's a screen capture of a grainy VHS recording of a performance of that tune from the fall of 1982. Other songs included in the same halftime show were Satin Doll, Theme from Hill Street Blues, On Broadway, and, as always, ending with the school's fight song (a.k.a. Notre Dame Victory March).



No comments:

Post a Comment