Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, November 14, 2020

Patti Austin - Carry On (1991)


Patti is in spectacular voice as always, but I question the choice of the material and arrangements.


Lack of vision and focus wastes the talents of these fine musicians. Damn shame.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: Did not chart
  • Billboard Contemporary Jazz: #13
  • Billboard R&B: #75

Tracks:
  1. Carry On - The title track is a cover of the 1970 CSN&Y tune and it doesn't do much for me except for the harmonica solo from Terry McMillan (to be fair, the original doesn't do much for me, either).
  2. Givin' In To Love - I had hopes because this one was written by Rod Temperton but the New Jack Swing arrangement ain't doing it any favors. Admittedly, I might have felt different about this one if I'd heard it back in '91
  3. I Will Remember You - smooth ballad written by Austin, producer David Pack and keyboardist David Benoit. Pleasant, if not particularly memorable, with a nice sax work from Michael Paulo.
  4. How Can I Be Sure - a cover of the 1967 Young Rascals hit. In a jazz-waltz setting with synth accordion, this thing somehow works.
  5. Why Did She Come In With You - dahell is this? It's not a good R&B tune to start with, but then it quickly veers into novelty territory with Patti rapping (?!?) and more spoken word from Arsenio Hall in character as a cheating lover named Monroe Monroe III. Did they just rhyme "stared at me as" with "quesadillas"?
  6. I Just Can't Let Go - ahhhh, finally! Despite the synth bass and drums, I can fully get behind this beautiful ballad with background vocals from Michael McDonald and James Ingram. Best song on the album. Cover of a David Pack tune that reached #13 on the AC chart in 1986.
  7. Monday Monday - a cover of the 1966 Mamas and Papas chart-topper. I want to dislike it, but I just can't. Pack's synth-heavy funk-lite of-its-time arrangement works and The Mamas & The Papas contribute background vocals.
  8. The More I Think About It - with a background lifted almost directly from Paul Hardcastle's 19, this filler track may be more skippable than track 5. If your track credits include somebody hiding behind the alias "The Riddler," you might have an issue.
  9. Nobody To Dance With - this innocuous ballad would be decent filler on most Austin albums, but rises near the top on this one.
  10. I'll Be Waiting For You - nice mid-tempo number, thankfully light on the synths. McDonald, Ingram, and Paulo all make welcome returns.
  11. (Don't Know) Whether To Laugh Or Cry- this final ballad with a gospel-ish arrangement at the end makes for a good album closer (I say "gospel-ish" rather than "gospel" because the lyrics are secular). Wish it gave Patti a little more opportunity to stretch out.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment