Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, March 13, 2020

The Best of The Doors (1985)


THINKING OUT OF THE BOX SET WEEK (MARCH 8 - 14, 2020)*
*In which I've lost/misplaced/can't find/never had one or more CDs in a multi-disc set.


Disc 1 of a 2 CD compilation set (which I previously owned on cassette).

I dig The Doors because few of their songs sound the same and they're all like nothing else. Morrison deservedly gets a lot of the attention, but the whole band was excellent. For example, Manzarek's organ work on Light My Fire is fantastic and that was as on their debut album (Rolling Stone ranked that LP as the #34 best debut album, but I'd put it in the top ten. Same rag also lists the album at #42 of all time, which is closer to my way of thinking.).

This compilation was the group's 8th (that total is currently topping 20), but it was the first Doors purchase I made. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd rather have Disc 2 of this set, but that ship has sailed. I can't really recommend the compilation as you're better off buying the albums individually, especially since they've been recently remastered (again) for 50th anniversaries.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #32
Peak on the Billboard Pop CD chart: #13

Tracks: Of the 11 tracks on this disc, my top picks are Break On Through, Light My Fire, People Are Strange, Love Me Two Times, and When The Music's Over, but they're all psychedelically good listens.

For more information on the brief life of the CD longbox,
go visit The Legend of the Longbox.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: During my college years, I always had to listen to my Doors tapes when I was by myself as none of my friends cared much for the band. Their loss.

And I'm thinking I'll watch the 1991 Oliver Stone movie The Doors sometime today.

No comments:

Post a Comment