Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, January 3, 2020

The Music of Johnny Mathis: Your Personal Sampler (1993)


Promotional CD

The 4 disc box set is currently available for under $10 on eBay if you're interested.

Johnny Mathis was blessed with an immediately recognizable smooth voice and impeccable sense of phrasing. Over his career, he had 20 Billboard Top 40 hits, 18 of those between the years 1957-1963, so chances are slim that this career-spanning compilation focuses exclusively on the hits. At least it includes his two chart-toppers, Chances Are and Too Much Too Little Too Late, a 1978 duet with Deniece Williams (I can sing both parts to the latter if you'd like to hit the karaoke bar later). I like those two mellow hits, along with his take on the standard Misty. Based on a sample size of my immediate family, I'll conclude that Mathis is mainly known to audiences today as a crooner of Christmas tunes, so I'm glad they included a couple of those. The most interesting find, however, is track 10, The Island. It was recorded in 1989 as part of a unreleased yachty Brazilian album produced by Sergio Mendes. I wouldn't mind hearing more tracks from that album.

Even if you could come across this CD, I wouldn't recommend it as a definitive Mathis compilation. Too few tracks, not enough hits. You'd think they would have included at least one disco track from his 1979 album, Mathis Magic.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Promo only; did not chart

Tracks:
SongYearBillboardCash Box
Wonderful! Wonderful!19571412
Chances Are195711
You'll Never Know1959

Misty19591214
Maria19607850
Long Ago and Far Away1971

Life is a Song Worth Singing19735464
Too Much, Too Little, Too Late1978112
99 Miles from L.A. (Live)1975

The Island1989

Sleigh Ride1958

It's a Marshmallow World1963


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.

1 comment:

  1. I bought the 4-disc box for a gift when it came out, but held out for a more comprehensive set for myself. Found it in the import 2-CD "Misty: The Best Of" collection which has all big UK and US chart hits.
    Did not notice when this box set was released that it included the song "The Island." The album is now being released 30+ years later. A few months ago I bought the also unreleased "I Love My Lady" on CD... very good album!

    ReplyDelete