Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Andy Williams - 16 Most Requested Songs (1986)


Admittedly, this compilation would be of more interest to my parents than to me, but here we are. Williams (1927-2012) was a singer during a time when the word "crooner" was in play and was used to describe him even after his death. Williams was blessed with a fantastic, seemingly effortless voice and somebody (manager? agent? record company?) paired him with some talented arrangers and performers to support.

Judging by the copyright date of the compilation, this was an early entry in the "hurry up and release old recordings on this new, overpriced format/don't worry about the cover art" compact disc sweepstakes.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: 16 tracks, 43 minutes. I know them all just by reading the titles. Lots of movie stuff, as one would expect. Let's take a look at where they peaked on the pop and easy listening charts:

SongYearHot 100EL*
Canadian Sunset19567
The Hawaiian Wedding Song195911
Can't Get Used to Losing You196321
Red Roses for a Blue Lady1965

Dear Heart1964242
Moon River1962

Born Free1967

Danny Boy1961
15
Days of Wine and Roses1963269
Emily1964

Sweet Memories1968754
More1964

Maria1962

What Now My Love1967

Love Theme from "Romeo and Juliet"1969

The Impossible Dream1968


*The Easy Listening chart premiered in the July 7, 1961 edition of Billboard.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: It's like a freakin' time machine back to simpler days. (I'm not sure they were "good ol' days" but it was certainly nice having all my needs taken care of with absolutely no effort on my part). I remember singing Born Free at the top of my lungs when I was 3 or 4, but I had more likely heard Roger William's version than Andy's. Moon River naturally reminds me of the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's, which I've seen more times than I could count (even though I prefer Truman Capote's ending over Blake Edward's). My favorite scene is the party scene, especially the woman looking in the mirror.


No comments:

Post a Comment