Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Paul McCartney - Egypt Station (2018)


By request! (In this particular case, "by request" means that a reader actually bought this CD for me as a gift. Thanks!)

I know next to nothing about this album except that Sir Paul has been promoting the crap out of the thing with talk-show bits, pop-up concerts, carpool karaoke, etc. Plus, I'm a huge fan and McCartney is our greatest living songwriter (who else would be in the running? Stevie Wonder, maybe?). I notice it's on Capitol, which is the first McCartney album on that label in a while. The packaging is unique - a 6 panel accordion-type case with graphics on one side, lyrics/credits on the other.


When folded up, the whole thing is held together with a green piece of elastic.


Note: the cover art and album title are both taken from an art piece Sir Paul created years ago.


It worked out where I was able to get this at Target because their version included two bonus tracks.


Enough rambling - let's slip this thing into the tray and listen.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: To be determined

Tracks:  (keep in mind these are first impressions, admittedly not the best way to write about an album)
  1. Opening Station: synth pads and train station noise; serves as an intro into...
  2. I Don't Know: a melancholy piano-based ballad. And I wasn't caring much for it until the chord progression hit me at the 56 second mark. And a great bridge. Classic McCartney. ✔
  3. Come On To Me: great guitar riff, then the backbeat kicks in. And Muscle Shoals horns fill out this grinding stomp. ✔
  4. Happy With You: acoustic ballad/love song in the vein of Blackbird (it's no Blackbird, but what is?), complete with a lilting flute line over the chorus. Not a fan of the drums, which are 1) unnecessary, and 2) up way too much in the mix. What could have been with good production. Shame.
  5. Who Cares: This guitar rocker is the first filler track of the album. Decent riff and a chorus custom made for audience participation, but not much to talk about beyond that.
  6. Fuh You: In which Paul wants to sound like Imagine Dragons. The current single, getting more attention for the allegedly raunchy lyrics, but I don't care much about that. I like how the string part pushes things forward. Not very McCartneyish, but I like it anyway. ✔
  7. Confidante: I thought this simple guitar folk tune was more filler, but the more it went on, the more I enjoyed it. This time the producer was smart enough to get out of the way. ✔
  8. People Want Peace: More about the message than the music. McCartney's homage to Lennon's Peace A Chance?
  9. Hand in Hand: Another ballad. Good, not great, but I dig the chorus good enough. ✔
  10. Dominoes: the first song I've heard on this disc that could have been on a '70s album from Wings. And that's a good thing. This will probably be the song that's stuck in my head when I'm done. ✔
  11. Back In Brazil: Fender Rhodes intro gives way to an odd '80s-synth/LinnDrum Latinish pastiche that I just can't seem to groove to. ✘
  12. Do It Now: Another piano ballad; I like how they double the piano on harpsichord. Nice vocal harmonies and there's a lot going on in the production/arrangement. I'm pretty sure I like it, but it's gonna take a few more listens before I can render a verdict.
  13. Caesar Rock: This doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, but McCartney has had lots of "patchwork" hits (Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey, Jet, etc) and I like this so that's all that matters. ✔
  14. Despite Repeated Warnings: The fourth or fifth piano ballad - so that's what this album is about. And Sir Paul is getting preachy and political when all I really want is silly love songs. But wait, this thing just switched gears (see "patchwork" reference above). We're faster and more upbeat. Now I'm waiting for it to go to the next section. And there it is - a Live And Let Die tribute! One more switch - the coda brings it full circle back to the beginning ballad. That was a manic trip. Another song I'll need to hear a few more times.
  15. Station II: a reprise of the first track
  16. Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link: Predicting a 3-parter here. Digging the syncopated groove of the Hunt You Down Section (more cowbell!), not digging the odd meter of Naked, and digging the slow bluesy, modal guitar solo of C-Link. 
  17. Get Started (bonus track): Now here's a happy little tune in classic McCartney style with a great send-off coda. The silly love song I've been waiting for. Worth going to Target just for this one tune. ✔
  18. Nothing For Free (bonus track): Two good bonus tracks? There's something you don't hear every day. Not as good as Get Started, but this one's got a catchy bass line and some fun production effects. ✔
Now that I've heard the album, I'll take a peek over at Metacritic and see their rating. 76. In the same neighborhood as relatively recent releases New (77) and Chaos And Creation (78). 76 seems a little high right now, but maybe some of these tracks will grow on me with repeated listenings.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Here's how I got the CD yesterday (file under: it's a great time to be alive): I was sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office, passing the time by texting friends. One friend asked me if I was going to pick up this new CD while I was out and about. I explained that I'm currently in the process of purchasing a house/new blog headquarters and all discretionary spending has been suspended, meaning there would be no CD purchases for a few months. This friend bluntly stated, "I will not read a single review until CDP comes through." (Stop it, you're making me blush.)

Said friend then ordered the CD online and told me to stop by the local Target on my way home. I did and here we are. Less than an hour from idea to holding the disc in my hand. Amazing and thank you. I've said it before, this silly self-indulgent blog has allowed me to meet some wonderful "online friends" and that's been the best part of continuing CDP.

Previously revisited for the blog:
New (2013)
Memory Almost Full (2007)
Chaos And Creation In The Backyard (2005)
Wingspan: Hits and History (2001)
Flaming Pie (1997)
Unplugged: The Official Bootleg (1991)
All The Best! (1987)
Pipes of Peace (1983)
Tug of War (1982)
Wings at the Speed of Sound (1976)
Band On The Run (1973)

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what irritated me more about this album -- how much I didn't like it or the universal fawning over it. I still think it's wildly overrated. https://everybodysdummy.blogspot.com/2018/09/paul-mccartney-35-egypt-station.html

    ReplyDelete