Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, June 16, 2018

The English Beat - Here We Go Love! (2018)


This CD landed on my doorstep yesterday. Let's slip it into the tray* and give it a spin. What follows are first impressions.

Three quick notes before we begin:
  • Expectations are high. Last time I put together a list of 30 "desert island" discs, this group's last studio release Special Beat Service was on it. I realize it's not fair to compare a 2018 release to a 1982 release, but I can't help it - it's human nature.**
  • Bob Sargeant, who produced the band's other albums, isn't on the console for this one. Production for this album is credited to a Kyle Hoffman.
  • The band now is Dave Wakeling and his friends/session/touring musicians. I'll miss Ranking Roger and Saxa, but let's be honest - Wakeling was the lead singer and main songwriter for the band. And while the album credit goes to the band, Wakeling's name is almost hidden in the busy cover art:


    Also, the liner notes booklet doesn't list any playing credits, just a URL address for more info. Why make it so difficult?

Enough rambling and ranting, let's get to the tunes.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: to be determined, fingers crossed for an appearance.

Tracks:
  1. How Can You Stand There: This couldn't be any group but the Beat. All the characteristics are there: ska beat, accordion, organ, sax, etc. Plus Wakeling's voice is immediately recognizable. True to the title, it is hard to just stand there when this dance tune is playing. Great opener - off to a good start.
  2. The One and the Only: Not ska, but guitar-oriented pop. Is that profanity?! Nice little piano break. Another good track.
  3. Redemption Time: Reminds me of the old 2 Tone Specials stuff. Waiting for the toasting to begin. And there it is. Rub-a-dub. The chords/melody remind me a bit of the group's earlier song Rotating Head. Bonus points for the trumpet and trombone interplay. For the record, I still haven't stopped moving/dancing, which makes keying in these track notes quite difficult.
  4. If Killing Worked It Would Have Worked By Now: anti-war tunes never sounded so good. Like track two, this isn't ska and the bridge on this one is weak, but it's got a good enough groove and a tasty sax solo so I can give this track a thumbs up.
  5. Here We Go Love: Hard-driving rocker with a good riff and catchy chorus. More f bombs. Dave's frustrated with the state of the world today (as is this humble blogger), so why not some swearing to drive the point home? Great track. Wears me out.
  6. Never Die: I was afraid a ballad might be coming, but I'll give it a shot. Reminds me of something Colin Hay might sing. Not bad as far as ballads go and it goes into double time for a bit, but it's not what I buy an English Beat to hear.
  7. The Love You Give Lasts Forever: The album bounces back with a strong chorus and some almost uplifting lyrics. Sounds more like a General Public tune than English Beat, but I guess that's just nitpicking at this point.
  8. You Really Oughtta Know By Now: a soul-infused shuffle with a Motown backbeat. Derivative, but nicely done so who cares? Hopefully female background vocals at the chorus? No dice, dadgummit. Woulda been nice, but the horn parts make up for it. Nice keyboard work, too.
  9. You're Stuck: another high-energy rock tune with perfect Farfisa organ licks. I like how this one builds to the chorus. A rare guitar solo! Great tune. My favorite tune so far.
  10. Every Time You Told Me: Who snuck a Huey Lewis b-side on this disc?
  11. Dem Call It Ska: And finally another ska tune! Lots of wordplay in the lyrics, but the groove and chorus are solid in this happy cut.
  12. Drive Her Away: The most '80s-sounding tune on the disc. This ska-pop fusion wouldn't have been out of place on Special Beat Service, so that's good enough for me.
  13. Be There For You: Loping reggae-ish tune. I gotta say - whoever did the horn arrangements on this disc knew what they were doing. Well done. No hooks are grabbing me in this song, but the sax solos fit perfectly and the slow groove is a good way to close the album.

I'm glad I bought the disc. Should make for some great summer listening.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Not yet, but I'm glad Dave decided to use the classic Beat-girl image on the album. I loved that image so much I was known to draw it on book covers during my high school years (do they still have book covers?).

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Complete Beat (2012)

*Ever wonder what equipment The CD Project uses for playback? Currently, it's a Yamaha CD-S300.
**Back-to-back Michael Jackson references (apropos of nothing)

1 comment:

  1. First CD I've purchased in 20 years! I think the other members definitely brought something special to the original songs, but it's not half bad. Not "Tenderness" good, but not bad. Time will tell how much play it gets on my playlist.

    ReplyDelete