Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, April 20, 2018

Various Artists - The Best Of 60's & 70's Rock: Protest Rock (1992)


The title is self-explanatory. Allmusic describes it as "an entertaining budget-line collection." Discogs describes it as "stoner rock." Mark is wondering why this Priority Records compilation is currently fetching top dollar on the secondary market.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks, including Billboard Hot 100 chart peaks and my somewhat predictable picks. 9 tracks, 33 minutes:

Title Artist
Year
Pop

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother The Hollies 1970 7
Eve of Destruction Barry McGuire 1965 1
Turn, Turn, Turn (To Everything There Is A Season) The Byrds 1965 1
I Shall Be Released The Band 1968
People Got To Be Free The Rascals 1968 1
Get Together The Youngbloods 1967
1969
62
5
One Tin Soldier (The Legend of Billy Jack) Coven 1971
1973
1974
26
79
73

War Edwin Starr 1970 1
Hurdy Gurdy Man Donovan 1968 5


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Sadly, most of these lyrics remain relevant a half-century later. But when these songs were released, I was more into Billy Blastoff than protesting. Nevertheless, I sang One Tin Soldier at summer church camp more times than I care to remember.

Your humble blogger and Billy Blastoff, December 1970.

No comments:

Post a Comment