Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Bobby Caldwell - Where Is Love (1993)


The material Caldwell picks/writes has always been hit-or-miss to me but I've always love his blue-eyed soul vocals. This album is no different. Caldwell produced, arranged, and played most of the instruments on this album (plus Boney James on sax), but it's an artifact of its time - the arrangement, mix, and synthdrums immediately date it. Now that I think about it, this album dates more late '80s than early '90s. There's two exceptions: Caldwell sings two 1930's standards (Don't Worry 'Bout Me & I Get A Kick Out Of You) with an all-star big band and both tracks are stellar. These two cuts are easily my favorites - mostly because of Caldwell's perfect phrasing.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: Did not chart
  • Billboard Contemporary Jazz: #13

Tracks: Most of the album straddles the line between quiet storm and smooth jazz while many of the tunes seem like they should be sub-titled "Love Theme from [title of romantic movie]" (see Never Take A Chance for an example). Of the non-big band cuts here, the best are the title cut, Once Upon A Time, and Rina. I don't skip anything; this is one of those albums that I don't seek out to play but am always pleasantly surprised when a Caldwell track suddenly appears in a shuffle.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment