Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

The Buckthorns - On A Silent Night (2004)


Wassail this about?

Longtime readers of the blog know I'm a preacher's kid, so please indulge me for a moment. Despite my culture's penchant for moving on quickly to the next thing (New Year's Eve/Day, Bowl Week, etc.), I always challenge myself to stick with the liturgical calendar of the Reformed tradition which states that Christmastide begins on Christmas Day and continues for the next 11 days: the twelve days of Christmas ending on the Twelfth Night. The calendar then changes from Christmastide to Epiphany. Anyhoo, that's why I'm still listening to Christmas music this week.

If you judged based on the pictures on the group's website, The Buckthorns is a bunch of white AARP members from the Chicago area that break into song after a few glasses of wine at a party. Needless to say, this album doesn't do it for me. A very amateurish recording of 14 Christmas tunes, rife with mixing, engineering, and tuning problems. Mostly a capella, there are a few instruments on a couple of tracks, but they're so far back in the mix that you'd hardly notice. Everything is sotto voce and I keep waiting for these guys to let loose, but it ain't happening. Still, this is probably an accurate representation of their live performances. Maybe a wine (or four) ain't a bad idea.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: 14 tracks in 30 minutes. The better tracks are the seldom heard Christmas In Killarney, Ding Dong Merrily On High, and Lo How A Rose E'er Blooming. The worst tracks are Brightest & Best and the scripturally unsound Mary Did You Know? (Answer: yes, she knew. Luke 1:30-38).

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None. This CD was included in a large lot of discs I recently purchased on eBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment