Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Jim Croce - Photographs & Memories: His Greatest Hits (1974)


A nice compilation of Croce's pop folk work for casual fans such as myself. If you're like me, you forget the incredible string of hits Croce in a short time period and a CD like this is a great reminder. All the hits are here and even the filler ain't bad. The songs are almost all under 3 minutes, so even if you don't like a cut, it's not long until the next one.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #2

Tracks:
TitleYear Chart Peak
Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
1973
1
Operator (That's Not the Way It Feels)
1972
17
Photographs and Memories
1972

Rapid Roy (The Stock Car Boy)
1972

Time in a Bottle
1973
1
New York's Not My Home
1972

Workin' at the Car Wash Blues
1974
32
I Got a Name
1973
10
I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song
1974
9
You Don't Mess Around With Jim
1972
8
Lover's Cross1973
One Less Set of Footsteps
1973
37
These Dreams1973
Roller Derby Queen
1973


My personal faves are Operator and I Got A Name. While Time In A Bottle is a classic, I've heard it enough for one lifetime.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: In February 1978, the Junior League of Odessa put on some sort of musical revue called the "Fuelin' Around Follies" as a fundraiser. Then, as now, Odessa's economy revolved around the oil industry, hence the name. My mother was involved in the production with a group of about 20 other ladies singing and dancing to Bad, Bad Leroy Brown. I was dragged along to many of the rehearsals that took place at the local YMCA and at least one of the three performances at a junior high auditorium. So even 38+ years later, that's what I think about when I hear Bad, Bad Leroy Brown.

And at some point today, I'll be singing "Movin' me down the highway!" at the top of my lungs while driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment