Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Bernard Purdie - Soul To Jazz (1996)


Note: that's not Bernard Purdie on the album cover.

I picked this CD up on the (very) cheap based on Purdie's reputation as a groove/funk drummer who claims to be the "world's most recorded drummer" and inventor of a signature groove called the "Purdie Shuffle."



However, I didn't even glance at the liner notes so I wasn't expecting a big band album - that's on me. Purdie brings his A-game, as always, but most of these covers don't really work as big band charts. But I will admit that this is one of those albums that improves with each listening so I'm not giving up on it just yet.


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:

The tunes that do work are Iko Iko (saved by a sweet Dean Brown guitar solo), Sidewinder, and Work Song. Tunes that don't work so well: When A Man Loves A Woman, Freedom Jazz Dance, and Gimme Some Lovin'. The cover of Land Of 1,000 Dancers [sic] isn't a great arrangement, but may contain some of the best work by Purdie on the album. Dude is absolutely crushin' it.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: none

No comments:

Post a Comment