Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Garth Brooks - Beyond The Season (1992)


This CD was recently sent to me by a faithful reader and judging by the amount of dust on the jewel case, it hasn't been played in quite some time. I'm not much for country music, but this is one of the most successful Christmas albums ever, so here we go. Robert Christgau gives this disc a 💣 rating, but I don't think it's quite that bad.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #2

Tracks:  11 tracks, 34 minutes. Of the originals, I like The Old Man's Back In Town and the instrumental Mary's Dream. Of the old classics, I prefer White Christmas and What Child Is This. I found myself wanting to skip The Gift, The Friendly Beasts, and Silent Night (solely because of the spoken word interlude). The rest is the usual pablum you hear on the radio from Halloween on.

For more information on the brief life of the CD longbox,
go visit The Legend of the Longbox.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment