Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, April 3, 2015

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - The Real Deal: Greatest Hits Volume 2 (1999)


As I listen to this wonderful compilation disc this morning, it occurs to me that instead of this album and the previous greatest hits CD, I should really own the full albums from which these songs sprung.  I will be working on that - some box sets just caught my eye.

my visit to the SRV memorial statue in Austin, April 2012

SRV will finally be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2 weeks.  'Bout time; he's been eligible since 2008.  Sheesh.

Book reviews aren't within the scope of this blog, but I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend Joe Nick Patoski and Bill Crawford's fantastic 1993 biography: Stevie Ray Vaughan: Caught in the Crossfire.  No, you can't have my copy because I've just decided to re-read it this weekend.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #53

Tracks:  Lots of bang for your buck - 16 tracks, 72 minutes.  It's all good, but if I had to pick a favorite today, it would be Life By The Drop.  I also like songs from SRV's 1985 album, Soul To Soul as that was the first blues record (cassette, actually) that I ever bought.  Plus, I'm partial to instrumentals like Scuttle Buttin', Lenny, Riviera Paradise, and Pipeline (with Dick Dale).  Couple of good covers on here, too.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  As one progresses through a teaching career, one comes in contact with many boneheaded administrators (disclaimer: not all administrators are boneheads, it just seems that way sometimes).  At one of my teaching stops, one such administrator requested that I illegally burn him a copy of some Stevie Ray Vaughan.  Wanting a good evaluation, I did as I was told.  Said disc included tracks from this CD.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Greatest Hits (1995)
The Vaughan Brothers - Family Style (1990)

No comments:

Post a Comment